Sunday, February 28, 2010

No Pictures, Please!

I am not a fan of pregnant belly profile pictures, which explains why you have not seen, and will not see, any of me.  I would really prefer not to put pictures of myself out there that will only lead to comments about my size relative to so-and-so, or other comments that make me uncomfortable.  It has nothing to do with body image.  I'm really not worried about my size at all.  In fact, my doctor declared this week that my size and weight are both, "good," so I'm perfectly happy to take his word for it.  I just don't think I'm very photogenic, which is why I don't change my profile pictures very often.  There aren't that many pictures of me out there that I intentionally want to use to identify myself.  I also don't think I'm "cute" or "glowing," and I'm really not sure what people mean when they say either of those things.  So, I have not been, nor will I be presenting myself for an unflattering photo every few weeks, and then posting that photo for friends, relatives, and friends of friends and relatives to see.  I am not against posting pictures taken with family or friends or at some special occasion, because those are actually meaningful beyond, "Hey, look at how big I am this week!"  I hope I don't sound critical of those who do enjoy taking (and seeing) belly pictures.  It's just not something I am choosing to do, and I really don't believe I'll regret not doing it.

On a related note, please don't expect to see many pictures of me in the hospital after the Dukeling is born.  By that point, I will be more than happy to pass the spotlight on.

No comments: